Is your advertising and marketing correctly aimed at your target audience?

Custom Search

This free article by Derek Stockley uses a recent advertising example to highlight how important the correct targeting and placement of advertising material is. Marketing success depends on visibility with people who are likely to buy your product or service.

How is your advertising aim?

I recently received a compliment in the Melbourne CBD (Central Business District). Well, I could regard it as a compliment. However, it is better described as an example of a poorly placed marketing effort.

Outside Flinders Street railway station, a young woman approached me and handed me a leaflet. As I walked and read the advertising, I was disappointed. The message was something like "come to our exciting bar and disco for singles between the ages of 24 and 28".

Now it could have been a compliment, but I do not think that I look between 24 and 28 years of age.

I did not fit the target market profile. I received the message, but it was not for me.

We are bombarded with advertising messages every day. Many of them are not relevant, but this case was different. I was actually picked from a crowd to receive the leaflet. Yes, it was a split second decision, but I was chosen in preference to others.

Search engine advertising is an example of a new marketing channel

There are now so many different marketing channels. In the last 20 years we have seen the emergence of the internet (websites and search engines), different media (eg. DVD) and diversity of media (eg. pay TV). If you are spending advertising dollars, it means a larger number of alternatives to spread your budget over.

I have watched with interest the growing rise of search engine advertising. In fact, if you are reading this article online, it is accompanied by advertisements provided by Google through their Adsense program. The ads are targeted by Google to the content of this page and this website in the belief that the products/services shown would be of interest to my readers. If you are interested in the contents of this article, you may find the products and services advertised relevant to your needs.

Summary

The growth in the number of different channels available requires greater care in the marketing effort. The diversity means you need to target your audience carefully to avoid wasting your time and marketing budget. Where possible, control should be exercised. Marketing channels that reach your target audience in a cost effective manner should be chosen.

Personal reflection

How many marketing messages have you received today?

Can you remember any specific marketing messages?

Have you responded to any?

Action items

From a business viewpoint, is our marketing targeted?

Related information

The importance of websites in the overall marketing mix - comments on the key role of websites in marketing business and organisations. The growth of website marketing is highlighted and some of the key marketing aspects are explained.

Please note: some of the pages on this website carry advertisements provided through the Google Adwords program. If you choose to click through to an advertiser’s website, I may receive a small payment. This financial relationship has not influenced the comments made above about Google. For more information on my approach, see Ethics Statement.

To review the newsletter, see: Listing of recent newsletter articles. All articles relate to a performance theme, but individual newsletters cover a specific topic. Themes include customer service, leadership, management, website marketing and time management.

You can publish this article, see: Publication.

Derek Stockley conducts public training courses in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, including a Public Train the Trainer Program.

These Ads appear as part of our monitoring of internet activity.