The link between business success and training (article)

Custom Search

The link between business success and training is discussed in this free article by Derek Stockley. If you want to achieve the success attained by successful companies and organisations, doing what they do is a very effective method.

Successful businesses and clients

Recently I have been paying closer attention to the marketing processes of my business, reflecting particularly on what has occurred over the first six months of the year.

I will be adding more 'case studies' to my website shortly. I use 'case studies' (see case study examples) to describe assignments that I have completed. The cases explain what the client need was and provide brief explanations of the solutions adopted and implemented. The cases are designed to demonstrate my capabilities and the variety of approaches that I can use. Hopefully, they provide a picture of what I do.

It requires a careful balance to write an effective case study.

I have a strict client privacy policy to observe (see client listing and disclosure policy). The policy applies to my training and consulting clients, as well as for participants on my public training courses. I do not publish participant names and position titles, nor do I identify company or organisation names.

Consequently, the cases have to provide sufficient detail for prospective clients to gain a comprehensive perspective, but without divulging the client’s identity. I have to very careful about the descriptors I might use.

I try to avoid language which might divulge the client’s identity, but in doing so I also remove accurate labels about their success.

I do identify their industry and nature of operations. To add a descriptor like "Australia’s largest ..." would reveal their true identity.

When I reflected on what these labels might be, I came up with a very impressive list. In the examples that follow, I have had to remove the industry and identity, so you can see why I cannot use the labels. To do so would mean violation of my client privacy policy.

"This global company is in the top three world-wide in the XXXX industry."

"This family owned business is a leader in the XXXX industry, with over xxxx current XXXX."

"This corporation has grown from humble beginnings only XX years ago to annual revenues of $X billion, making it the XXXX XXXX."

"This Australian manufacturer, established for over XX years, is the leading supplier of XXXX"

This year I have worked with individuals and organisations that have one common theme - the commitment of their organisation to training and staff development.

The organisations have been large and small, from a wide variety of industries, including the government and not-for-profit sectors.

For me to claim credit for the successes outlined above would be absurd.

The point of this article is to stress that the commitment to training is one of the reasons that the organisations described above have achieved the successes listed. They have identified, organised and implemented training designed to help individuals and the organisation perform better. The methods used might vary. They can use internal learning resources, and/or educational institutions and/or external consultants like me.

Commitment to action

As often occurs when writing these newsletter articles, another thought has just occurred to me. In each of the cases listed above, my engagement as a consultant was quick and straightforward. I was contacted, the training need was explained to me, we discussed options and approaches, I told them what I would do and how much it would cost, and basically we reached agreement on the phone at that point. Yes, I did forward a formal proposal to confirm what we discussed, but the decision to proceed had already been made.

This commitment to act is a sign of a successful organisation. If you have the need, do it - do not waste unnecessary time in bureaucratic procedures.

Summary

There is a link between organisation success and training/learning/education.

Successful organisations demonstrate their commitment to staff development by organising it - when it is needed - quickly and effectively.

Personal reflection

Is your organisation successful?

Is there a strong commitment to training?

To review the newsletter, see: Listing of recent newsletter articles.

You can publish this article, provided that you meet certain requirements, see: High Performance Newsletter Publication page.

These Ads appear as part of our monitoring of internet activity.