Be better - focus on the big issues in Australia (article)

Custom Search

Derek Stockley is a training and performance consultant based in Melbourne, Australia.

This free article explains the need to focus on the bigger issues if we are to grow.

Are you talking about the big issues? Are you going to something about them?

What did you do with friends and family on recent nights?

Did you have a party/celebration?

Often discussions at such things talk about politics. Typical discussion points include:

• Boring.
  • Negative.
  • How predictable.
  • Poor media analysis.
  • Lack of detailed policy discussions.
  • Lack of understanding of a vision.

Such discussions can sometimes fail to discuss our views on the big issues:

• Economy.
  • Environment.
  • Health.
  • Energy.
  • Poverty.
  • Population.
  • Ageing.
  • Food production.
  • Technology.

In 2013, Apple released two new iPhones - 5c and 5s. Apple were criticised for not making a great great leap forward. The new phones were only slightly better.

The human species can be negative. We criticise our politicians from our armchairs. We complain because Apple computer is not inventing something.

Apple have been very good at inventing products that we didn’t know we needed until they invented them – iPod, iPad, iPhone.

What about you – what did you invent this week?

I have to be honest – I haven’t invented anything this week.

But I believe there are three questions that we should be able to answer yes to:

1. Have I been more productive?

2. Have I helped others to be more productive?

3. Have I made a contribution?

I think a real, clear vision for our future is missing from our national and personal discussions. Australia and the world are facing some big issues.

To name just one, how are we going to support an ageing population that is going to live a lot longer.

So there are some big issues to be dealt with.

And there are some personal and organisational issues too. And that where I want to now concentrate.

We have to be more productive.

There is an international development organisation – JCI (Junior Chamber International)

The organisation motto is “Be Better”.

But how?

1. Being more personally productive.

I mentioned the iPhone.

I have one. Am I going to buy a new one? No.

Why? I am not using this one to its fullest capacity yet. I can improve my personal efficiency by using its features better. And the new iPhone doesn’t have anything that will help me be better.

I have to work harder.

2. Helping others to be more productive.

I am lucky. As a training consultant, I believe I help people learn better, more productive ways to operate. Last year I worked with many people, who after training, had the ability to help save million of dollars in unnecessary costs and wastage.

But I believe everyone can be a trainer and a coach. We should all help others to be better.

3. Have I made a contribution?

I hope to be be a better citizen in my work. Last year I helped a company that recycles cooking oil. Sustainability should continue to be more important in the future.

At the end of the year, when my friends/family and I gather for our end of year get togethers, I hope that we are able to have a more positive discussion about the focus on the future. And that all have us have contributed in some small way.

There are lots of things we can do. We have to believe that positive action is possible.

Most importantly, we have to enable action. We have to try. We can do great things if we "give it a go".

Related articles:

Australia is poised to grow - this free article explains that now is the time for Australia to seize the available opportunities.

Productivity gains in Australia are easy - explores the many opportunities to improve productivity quickly and easily.

Although this article is specifically about productivity, other articles under the following topics may also be useful:

Your comment

If you have a comment you would like to make, or you would like to share your experience, please send the comment to the email address listed below.

You can subscribe to this free newsletter. Only your name and email address are required, see: High Performance Newsletter Administration page. Your privacy is protected, see privacy page. Each article is short, easy to read and to the point.

To review the newsletter, see: Listing of recent newsletter articles. All articles relate to a performance theme, but individual newsletters cover a specific topic. Themes include customer service, leadership, management, website marketing and time management. You can see all articles in chronological order at: Listing of newsletter articles in chronological order.

You can publish this article, see: Publication.

The major portals on this site are: Training Courses and Consulting and Performance Management.

Derek Stockley consultants conduct in-house customer service training and consulting, see customer service training and consulting.

Derek Stockley consultants conduct public training courses in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth (Australia).

These Ads appear as part of our monitoring of internet activity.